Whelks & chantilly with bacon
Whelks & chantilly with smoked bacon
Preparation Time30 minutes
Resting Time2 hours
Winery PairingMumm 4
- 2 slices smoked bacon
- 500g whelks
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoonfuls vinegar
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Salt & pepper
- 200ml heavy whipping cream
Step 1: Whelks
- Plunge the whelks into the water with 1 tablespoonful of coarse salt and 2 tablespoonfuls of vinegar for at least 1 hour. Wash the whelks in clean water, put them in a pressure cooker and cover with cold water.
- Add to it the yellow onions, a handful of thyme, some salt and pepper. Bring everything to the boil for 20 min and turn off the heat, leaving the whelks in the pressure cooker for at least 2 hours.
Step 2: Cream with Smoked Bacon
- Heat the cream and roughly chopped bacon in a saucepan with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook on a low heat for 10 min. Mix everything in a blender and filter.
- Put in the fridge for 1h.
- When the cream is cold, whip it into chantilly and serve with the whelks.
Mumm 4 is an elegant brut champagne that can be savoured slowly to enjoy its deep complexity or paired with gastronomic delights such as poultry with chanterelles and apricot compote, brie with truffle, game birds or roasted beef or boar accompanied by heirloom vegetables.